I made three different desserts for Easter dinner this year, but this chocolate cream pie was the first to go. Everybody wanted a slice of this simple to make, deeply chocolatey pie!
When it comes to pies, my husband is a big fan of cream pies like banana cream (his favorite). So it’s no surprise that he was leading the charge for this chocolate cream pie, which is essentially a chocolate pudding inside an Oreo crust. But that description doesn’t do justice to the beauty of this pie and might make it seem like you ought to just use a pudding mix for the filling and a pre-made crust.
There are a couple of reasons why I think a chocolate cream pie is so much better from scratch:
- The chocolate flavor comes through with much, much deeper, richer tones thanks to the combination of bittersweet AND semi-sweet chocolate
- The balance of sweetness in a homemade chocolate custard is much better than just a packet of pudding
During the summer, this is a great no-bake chocolate cream pie if you don’t bother to bake the crust for 8-10 minutes in the oven. I like my crust a little crunchy, but that step is totally optional.
Also, can I just clear something up here? Not all chocolate pies are the same, even though the names get bandied about willy-nilly all the time. There is French Silk Pie, Chocolate Satin Pie, and Chocolate Cream Pie and each is just a little different.
Chocolate cream pie, on the other hand, is made with a cooked custard filling that is thickened with cornstarch (at least in my recipe). While similar, the differences in the method and ingredients result in a different taste and texture between the two varieties of pie.
Better than Grandma’s chocolate pie and so easy to make! Topped with delicious meringue, this is sure to be a family favorite.
* 1 baked deep dish pie crust
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 1/4 cup cornstarch
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1 can carnation evaporated milk
* 1 1/2 cups whole milk
* 4 medium egg yolks
* 6.5 oz bitter sweet chocolate
* 2 tsp vanilla
* 2 tbsp butter
1. Whisk together milk, egg yolks and dry ingredients.
2. Cook over medium heat until it starts to bubble, remove from heat.
3. Add chocolate, vanilla and butter.
4. Make meringue and bake for 9 minutes at 400 F
For Ingredients And Complete Cooking Instructions Please Head On Over To Next Page Or Open button (>) and don’t forget to SHARE with your Facebook friends