- 2 cups Cake Flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 6 ounces milk or dark chocolate, chopped (about 1 cup) and melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk (easily made by adding approximately 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice to regular milk; let sit til thickened, about 5 minutes)
For the Frosting
- 1 cup butter, room temperature (2 sticks)
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp peppermint schnapps or peppermint extract to taste
- pinch of salt
- Peppermint stripe candies, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease your pans with butter and dust with cocoa. Cut a piece of parchment to fit inside the pan and grease and dust the parchment with cocoa.
- Combine the cake flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt and mix together with a whisk.
- Place the oil, butter and sugars in the bowl of your mixer and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl. Add the eggs 1 at a time and beat briefly to just incorporate.
- Add the melted milk chocolate, and beat until mixed well. Combine the salt, flour, baking soda, vanilla, cocoa powder and 1/2 cup of the buttermilk. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Stop again and scrape the bowl. Add the remaining buttermilk and beat for 30 seconds.
- Pour the batter into the pans and bake: for 8″ rounds, 18 to 24 minutes; for 9″ rounds, 20 to 28 minutes; for cupcakes, 15 to 18 minutes.
- The cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, with just a few moist crumbs. Rest the cake in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
- Once completely cooled, frost with Peppermint Buttercream and garnish with crushed peppermint candies.
To Make the Peppermint Buttercream:
- Beat the butter in a stand mixer until smooth, gradually add the powdered sugar and beat to combine.
- Add the vanilla, peppermint extract or Schnapps and pinch of salt and beat to combine.
For Ingredients And Complete Cooking Instructions Please Head On Over To Next Page Or Open button (>) and don’t forget to SHARE with your Facebook friends