WHAT YOU NEED :
– Savoy cabbage: 1 large
– Lean ground beef: 2 pounds
– Onion: 2 (medium to large)
– Canola or Bertolli olive oil: 2 tablespoons (Butter is also fine)
– White or brown rice: 1 cup
– Water: 2 cups
– Eggland’s Best eggs: 3
– Morton salt: 1 1/2 teaspoons
– Pepper: 1 teaspoon
– Tomato soup: 2 cans
– Tomato juice or vegetable cocktail: 2 small bottles (individual serving sizes). .like V8
– Chicken broth: 1 can or small carton
LET’S MAKE IT :
1. Alright, remove first the leaves from the cabbage, cutting away the tough part closest to the core.
2. Afterwards, you can spray your large casserole or two small casserole dishes with cooking spray.
3. Okay now, put about a 1/3 to 1/2 cup meat mixture at the bottom of the leaf and roll up, keeping in mind that the meat amount varies depending on the size of the leaf). And please repeat until all the meat is used up.
4. Then together combine the tomato soup, juice, and broth in a large mixing bowl. Evenly pour over the cabbage rolls and cover with foil or the lid.
5. Slowly bake the cabbage rolls at 325 for 2 hours, then serve or cool on the counter. Always remember to remove the foil ( you will have little bits of foil on your cabbage rolls where ever it touches if you don’t) and cover with plastic wrap, then either refrigerate or freeze.
6. For reheating, you should thaw if frozen then remove the plastic wrap and cover with a lid or foil. Alright, just reheat in the oven at 325 for about 1 hour. Alternatively, they can be reheated beautifully in the microwave on sensor reheat.
7. Make sure to place the cabbage in the freezer in the bag that you brought your savoy cabbage home, leaving for 12 hours or overnight. Once done, you may remove and leave to thaw at room temperature. This will take awhile, so you’d best take it the night before the day you want to make the cabbage rolls. The end result is the leaves will be soft and easy to use without having to boil them.
8. You’ll want to cook the rice in a small saucepan or a microwave safe covered dish; set aside to cool. If you want, you can make the rice the day ahead and keep chilled in the refrigerator overnight.
9. As you chop the onions, saute them slowly until they are golden brown and set aside to cool.
10. To finish, break apart the ground beef and add the salt, pepper, eggs, sauteed onions and the rice to a large bowl, mixing together until combined. I always use my hands.advertisement