“Family favorite. It kind of turns into a type of stew as the barley soaks up much of the beef stock. Best part is that it gets better with age, so make plenty and enjoy throughout the week! It’s always better the second day, so you might want to cook it one day, refrigerate it overnight, and then cook it again the next day.”
Healthy Vegetable Beef and Mushroom Barley Soup
When it comes to soup, I believe the more vegetables the better and this healthy slow cooker vegetable beef and mushroom barley soup proves it.
Full of chunks of tender beef, earthy mushrooms, chewy barley and an array of colorful vegetables, this is a delicious low calorie meal in a bowl that will warm you inside and out.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- ¾ pound beef stew meat cut into ½ inch pieces
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1½ cups)
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about ½ cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, or 2 teaspoons minced garlic in a jar
- 6 cups low-sodium beef broth
- One 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, with their juices
- ½ cup pearled barley
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Dry off the meat with paper towels and then sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Add the meat to the pan and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes total.
- Transfer to a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil to the skillet. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion begins to soften about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook another minute.
- Scrape the mixture from the skillet into the slow cooker. (If there are any browned bits still remaining in the skillet, add a little of the beef broth to de-glaze the pan and then add to the slow cooker.)
- Add the carrots, celery, mushrooms, broth, tomatoes, barley, and thyme to the slow cooker and stir to blend.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish each serving with a sprinkling of parsley, if desired.
Cook’s NotesNutritional estimates per Serving (1½ cups): 275 calories, 10 g fat, 25 g protein, 22 g carbs, 5 g fiber. Although Ellie, made this on the stove, I turned it into a slow cooker soup recipe with great results. Add whatever vegetables you like. The last time I made this I added green beans, and chopped leftover swiss chard and it was delicious. Corn, peas, turnips and parsnips are other great choices.
Recipe Source : simple nourished living
For Ingredients And Complete Cooking Instructions Please Head On Over To Next Page Or Open button (>) and don’t forget to SHARE with your Facebook friends