PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN PANCAKES
Serves 5 to 6
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
–½ cup butter, divided (¼ cup melted)
–½ cup brown sugar
–1 – 20-ounce can pineapple slices
–2-½ cups all-purpose flour
–2 tablespoons baking powder
–2 tablespoons baking soda
–¼ teaspoon kosher salt
–2-½ cups whole milk
–½ cup granulated sugar
–¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat a griddle to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius).
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt ¼ cup butter and the brown sugar. Add the pineapple rings and cook until caramelized.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- In a small bowl, combine and mix the milk, granulated sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just-combined and no lumps remain. Add the other ¼ cup melted butter and mix well.
- Lightly grease the preheated griddle and wipe away any excess oil. Using a ⅓-cup measuring cup, portion out pancake batter onto the hot griddle. Place a pineapple ring in the center of the batter, press down gently, and add a Maraschino cherry to the center of each ring.
- Allow the pancakes to cook until bubbles form along the top of the batter. Flip and cook the other side until pancakes are golden brown and cooked inside.
- Serve pineapple side-up and drizzle with the remaining brown-sugar glaze.